This time, we stopped on the way in, at the St-Nicolas location, just before the bridges.
It was surprisingly busy, even though it was past lunch time. The staff was struggling to keep up, and the poutine was lining up on the counter, along with Expo burgers, Rostbif platters and other delicacies offered by Ashton.
Mel went for her favorite – a bébé poutine, sauce piquante.
I decided I would go with something different this time, another classic but not as well know outside Quebec borders, and, in fact, outside of Eastern Quebec.
Ashton’s Galvaude is the classic recipe, which was invented in Gaspesie, according to Charles-Alexandre Théorêt.
Here, the french fries and the gravy are the same as in a classic poutine. But the cheese curds are replaced by chicken pieces and green peas. Some do add cheese curds, but really, it is not supposed to come with cheese. And do not make the mistake of calling this a poutine galvaude. It’s a galvaude, period.
Think of a hot chicken sandwhich without bread.
Ashton’s regular galvaude goes for $8.00. Since they do not serve any other chicken dishes, it won’t surprise you if I say the chicken is not fresh of f the bone. Nevertheless, it was good enough, although a bit pricey.
Leave a Reply
- David Coulson on The Tigers win big!
- Renée T. on Celebrating Saint Patrick’s at Kettleman’s
- The Waffle on Yesterday’s got no tomorrow
- Tony H. on Yesterday’s got no tomorrow
- Sean S. on Yesterday’s got no tomorrow
- Ian Green on “What do they mean, meal upgrade?”
- Ian Green on Would you like Poutine with that?
- Michael K. on Poutinefest is starting today
- Rob S. on Poutinefest is starting today
- Joe B. on Getting refreshed in Saskatoon
- Anne-Marie L. on Testing Lay’s Bold Flavours
- Renée T. on La Poutine du Parc Vert
- Jean L. on Cat’s fish
- Jessica on A Chili Cheese Dog on James Street
- Cameron H. on ZaZaZa? YaYaYa!
- A Waffle Exclusive (11)
- Airplane Food (7)
- Baseball (12)
- Beverages (4)
- Breakfast (9)
- Brewery (3)
- Brunch (5)
- Contest (1)
- Delivery (2)
- Drink Experiment (2)
- Election (41)
- Food experiment (34)
- Food Truck (4)
- Football (5)
- General (66)
- Golf (4)
- Grocery (2)
- Hockey (2)
- Politics (110)
- Recipes (9)
- Restaurant (170)
- Road Trip (9)
- Softball (1)
- Sweet Deal (16)
- The Waffle's challenges (10)